Glossary of Terms
Do you find some terms for hot water systems confusing?
Please let me try to explain them for you;
Storage Hot water tank
- is a water tank used for storing hot water. The water is heated up and stored waiting to be drawn off when the tap is opened. Once all the "stored" water is used, the water is the tank must be heated up again. They are classified by their storage capacity e.g. 50 Litre, 400 Litre.
Continuous Flow Heater
- Also known as and instantaneous heater, does not store hot water but heats the water when the tap is turned on. They are classified by the amount of water they can heat per minute e.g. 27 L per minute.
Solar Hot water
- This heater uses the heat from the sun to heat the hot water. There are two main types, Lowline - where the tank is on the ground and the panels are on the roof and Highline - where all components are on the roofs. These heaters usually also have either a gas or electric back up capacity for when the solar gain will not heats the water enough.
- This valve is a requirement under AS/NZS3500 (Australian Plumbing Standard) and must be fitted to any tank replacement. This valve mixes hot water coming out of the tank with cold water to provide hot water to your taps at no more than 50 Degrees Celsius.
- As per AS/NZS 3500, all water heaters that are installed indoors and are in concealed locations i.e. cupboards or in non wet area (areas without a drain in the floor) require a safety drip tray and either a drain off the tray or an approved automatic shut off valve ( we install the Mildred valves, this device has a sensor that sits in the tray of the hot water tank and if it detects water in the tray automatically shuts off the water flow to the hot water system. to protect yours and other peoples property from damage)
- In years gone by, this device was actually two separate valves. The first one was the stop tap, this is a tap that you turn off to stop water flowing into the heater. The second one is a non return valve that stops the hot water in the tank coming back out of the hot water tank and down the cold pipe. These two valves has been turned into one valve that does two actions, hence the name duo.